- The Course
- Accommodation & Welfare
- Pre-Departure Information
About the college
Magdalene College is one of Cambridge University’s oldest, most famous and most beautiful colleges.
It was founded in 1428 and is one of the oldest colleges in Cambridge University and the main courtyard and its small church were both built around 1470.
The famous Pepys library dates from about 1700 and is one of the most remarkable private libraries ever created.
Central Cambridge Location
Magdalene College is set on the banks of the River Cam, which flows through the centre of Cambridge. Students will live in single rooms in Magdalene College and many of the student bedrooms have views of the river.
The college is situated in the heart of the historic centre of Cambridge close to all the beautiful colleges and stunning architecture of the university, so our students will have the opportunity to experience the city’s unique atmosphere to the full.
- 20 full hours teaching per week
- Maximum class size of 12
- Elementary – advanced levels
- Reports and certificates
On your first day, you will take a short written test and have an interview with a teacher so that we can assess your level of English and choose the best class level for you.
English classes are based on the Select English topic based syllabus. It will help you to develop your language skills while discussing topics that are relevant and interesting to you. You will work in pairs and groups regularly, and take part in class discussions and other activities that make learning enjoyable and fun.
- Expand your vocabulary
- Increase your grammatical accuracy
- Improve your pronunciation
- Gain confidence in using English in every situation
In our project classes, you will use English to work on a project together with your class mates. You can choose the focus of your project with help from your teacher. Popular projects include:
- Creating a school magazine
- Surveys of Select staff or members of the public
- Making a guide to Cambridge for future students
- Preparing a presentation on your hometown
Course Dates 2021
|4th Jul 2021 to 17th Jul 2021|
|4th Jul 2021 to 31st Jul 2021|
|18th Jul 2021 to 31st Jul 2021|
Course Fees 2021
|2 Week Course||£2170+£50 Registration Fee|
|4 Week Course||£4340+£50 Registration Fee|
|4th Jul 2021 to 17th Jul 2021||Spaces Available|
|4th Jul 2021 to 31st Jul 2021||Spaces Available|
|18th Jul 2021 to 31st Jul 2021||Spaces Available|
Reports and Certificates
At the end of the course, you’ll receive a certificate with your English level, as well as a detailed report from your teachers describing your strengths and weaknesses, and suggesting areas for follow on study.
The Monday to Friday timetable for Magdalene College
|Lesson One||Break||Lesson Two||Break||Lesson Three||Lunch||Lesson Four||Activities||Dinner||Activities|
Magdalene College Social Programme
Our programme at Magdalene College allows students to immerse themselves in traditional Cambridge University student life
- An arrival reception with strawberries and cream on the college lawns
- Course graduation ceremony beneath the Pepys library with detailed personal reports and certificates for each student
- A formal farewell dinner in the historic and atmospheric college dining hall
- Full day excursion to London
- Inspirational cultural, social and sporting programme
An example two-week activity schedule at Magdalene College
* Activities with a £ will incur a small charge. The cost per week to attend all activities is approximately £20.
|Afternoon Activity||Evening Activity|
|Monday||Walking Tour of Cambridge||Welcome Reception|
|Tuesday||King’s College Visit||Traditional English Pub Visit|
|Thursday||Sports||Shakespeare in the Garden (£)|
|Friday||Fitzwilliam Museum||Course Social Evening|
|Saturday||Full Day Trip to London||Free Evening|
|Sunday||Half-Day Visit to Ely (£)||Free Evening|
|Tuesday||Jesus College Visit||BBQ|
|Wednesday||Cambridge University Admissions Lecture||Free Evening|
|Thursday||Visit Grantchester||Course Social Evening|
|Friday||Free Afternoon||Formal Dinner Party|
Accommodation is in comfortable single rooms at the heart of Magdalene College. The rooms are located in a remarkable building that was designed by the famous British architect Edwin Lutyens
- Students share bathrooms with up to six other students
- You will have breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Magdalene College dining halls
- Surrounded by stunning gardens outside which lead down to the banks of the River Cam
- Free wi-fi for students
- Great location near to the centre of Cambridge
- Safe and secure location
- Small course of 50 students
- Safe and secure environment
- Qualified first aiders on site
- Supervised sports and social programme
- 24 hour emergency contact number – 0044 (0) 7985 026835
Care of Under 18s
This applies to students aged 16 and 17 attending the course at Magdalene College.
IF YOU ARE UNDER 18, A CONSENT FORM MUST BE COMPLETED AND RETURNED BY YOUR PARENT/GUARDIAN. PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM HERE
This course is for students aged 16-25. You will be in classes, have meals and take part in activities with students who are over 18. You will also share a common room with students over 18.
- Every student will be given a wristband containing the school emergency number (07985 026835)
- Students are given safety advice as part of their first day induction. This can be downloaded from our website selectenglish.co.uk
- An activity programme is offered but is not a compulsory.
- It is possible to choose not to take part in activities. Those who do that will have unsupervised free time. If they choose to leave the campus they must sign out in the presence of the Course Director.
- If not attending an activity during the afternoon, students will be required to check in with staff at dinner time
- There is an activity on offer every evening. Attendance is not compulsory. During this time, students may stay in the college or they may go out into Cambridge. This means that from 19.00-23.00 students will be unsupervised
- When students are not attending the activity provided by Select English or during free time, they must inform the Course Director where they are and when they expect to be back. They must make sure that the Course Director has their mobile phone number and that their phone is charged and switched on.
- On activities and trips, supervision ratios for under 18s will be at least 1:20. Students will be allowed to leave staff to visit shops and other amenities. Everyone will be informed of meeting points where they can find staff and will also be reminded of the school emergency numbers (on their wristbands) and summer staff mobile numbers.
- Select English has set clear rules for free time. All students will be made aware of these rules.
- All students are accommodated in single rooms
- We will make every attempt to accommodate male and female students on separate floors but it may not always be possible
- Select English will make every attempt to accommodate students aged 16 and 17 separate from the students aged over 18 but it may not always be possible.
- There will be 5 members of Select English staff living at the college
- The curfew for under 18s at Magdalene College is 23.00
- To receive a free transfer on arrival, you need to book a flight that is scheduled to land on Sunday between 9.00 and 17.00 at London Stansted or London Heathrow. Students on flights scheduled to land before 9.00 are nor eligible for a free transfer. There is no option to wait in the airport. Where flights are delayed, we will always wait for students affected.
- To qualify for a free transfer on departure, you need to book a flight that is scheduled to depart on a Saturday between 9.00 and 17.00 at London Stansted or London Heathrow. Flights scheduled to depart after 17.00 are not eligible for a free transfer.
- If your flight is outside these hours, to/from a different airport or on a different day, you will need to either make your own way, or arrange a private taxi transfer. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org arrange this. All students under the age of 18 must use our free transfer service or book a private taxi transfer.
Prices for one way taxi transfers are below:
Before you come to Select English there are a few things that need to be arranged.
Consent & Medical Forms
At the time of booking, we will send you a consent and medical form to complete for your child/children. You must return these to us before the start of the course. These apply to students aged 16 and 17 studying on this course.
Select English recommended that all students purchase a comprehensive travel insurance policy prior to departure for the UK.
In this way you will be covered in the event of disruption to travel, loss or damage to belongings and so on.
Most students will also be liable to pay for any medical treatment needed whilst in the UK; an insurance policy that covers medical expenses is therefore advisable.
The summer months are June to September; in this period the weather is normally warm and pleasant, with occasional hot spells – but at night it can always be chilly here, even when the days are hot.
When travelling abroad it is always important to be aware of relevant laws in the country that you’re visiting.
In the UK it is illegal to buy cigarettes or alcohol if you are under the age of 18, and possession of most drugs (including cannabis) is illegal.
Please provide your child with adequate spending money before departure.
It is recommended that students bring at least £25 per day to cover the cost of any snacks, drinks, souvenirs and gifts and so on.
We strongly recommend that students have a pre-payment card instead of bringing large amounts of cash.
What to Bring
- Passport/ID Card
- All documentation sent to you by Select English (Acceptance Letter, Accommodation Letter, Short Term Study Visa Letter, if applicable)
- Suitable Clothing (trainers, swimming kit, raincoat)
- Adaptor/Transformer to charge your phone and to use electrical appliances such as hairdryers. The standard voltage in the UK is 230 volts. Your adaptor must meet UK standards or it will be confiscated for health and safety reasons
- Prescription medication. This must be in its original packaging with the labels translated into English
- The school contact information. You should store the following number in your phone in case of emergency. +44 7985 026835
What our students are saying
The Director has helped me to find the right class so that I can improve what I need the most: my speaking and listening. This is difficult for people from Japan so it is important for me to improve these skills.
I like Select English because it is really welcoming and the social staff and teachers are great. Heather took us out for dinner the other day which I really enjoyed.
Greta , Italy
We learnt a lot and had fun at the same time.
It is a good summer school with amazing staff and teachers. We learnt a lot from making new friends from other countries.
My classmates are very nice. Everyone is from a different country. There aren’t too many people in the group, which gives me more opportunities to speak and practise.
The family was so kind, we had a talk at every breakfast and dinner
I enjoyed my course, it was well organised.
The staff were great, and the social programme was amazing
The staff were fantastic, I will miss them all.
I had fun and improved my English.
It was professional, well organised and useful.
It was the best summer! Thanks Culford.See you next year!